February 2023 update on Newsome’s clubs

Margaret Metz, Online Editor-In-Chief

Newsome’s giving and community-based culture is dependent on the work of its clubs. Here is a quick refresher on what the clubs are up to.

The Student Councils of each class are currently rehearsing their dances for the pep rally come March. They are working on raising the spirits of the whole school while repping their class’s pride. 

The IncrediBULLS event is coming up on Feb. 24th, and most clubs will be attending. The event is dedicated to making a fun environment for special needs kids that includes field day activities and booths with games.

The Inter-Club Council is working on its Anti-Bullying Movement. This council is the body that unites all the clubs so Newsome has a sense of unity within its community. The council is currently working to create days dedicated to bullying awareness. It meets monthly to discuss and uplift each club in order to maximize efficiency.

Relay for Life involves the teamwork of a lot of clubs to host stations. Relay for Life will be hosted on March 25-26 3 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the campus’s track. The student body is welcome to come and walk the track to raise support for the fight against cancer. Each club has a distinctly themed tent to celebrate the run. Stop by to run for a good cause and explore all of Newsome’s clubs’ tents. Follow @fhrelay on Instagram to stay connected to the cause.

The Black Student Union made preparations to celebrate Black History Month. Last month, they went to an MLK march on MLK Day. On Jan. 30 through Feb. 3 the Union had trivia in the cafeteria with prizes. They encouraged a door decorating contest among Newsome staff members and put up posters to spread awareness of Black History Month to a majority of Newsome students.

The Speech and Debate Club has been successful this season since they have had a lot of members place in competition. The club hosted a debate event at Newsome in January. For the club’s future travels, it will be going to two National Qualifier rounds and then to Harvard University in February. It is an honor to have Newsome represented by intelligent and dedicated students.