Senior Class hosts fundraising golf tournament

Casey Mankowski, Features Editor

Throughout high school, a class has four years to raise as much money as possible to be able to fund special events at the school, such as parties, dances, sporting events, and more. The class of 2023 has faced extra challenges due to the outbreak of Covid-19 in their freshman year, hindering their ability to raise funds for part of their high school years.

To pick up some of the slack in preparation for prom, the class of 2023 Senior Council hosted a charity golf tournament on Jan. 21. The tournament was held at the River Hills Country Club and was open to all golf enthusiasts in the Lithia and Valrico area, including Newsome students. The tournament’s packed schedule included three types of golf games, two raffles, and closed off with dinner and awards. Games played at the tournament included “Longest Drive”, “Closest to the Pin”, and “Beat Newsome’s Senior Golfers.”

With ticket prices sitting at $125 per golfer or $450 per group of four, was this event enough to get the class of 2023 to prom? Newsome senior Madeline Felegy, Vice President of the Senior Council, shares some hopeful news: “The Senior Golf Tournament exceeded our fundraising expectations! Council is very proud of the hard work everyone put in to make this event a success.” The Senior Golf Tournament attracted a flock of avid golfers, boosting the class of 2023 ever closer to their fundraising goals. Felegy claims that the turnout of the tournament was very promising: “We had a great turnout for this event with 104 golfers and 15 local business sponsors!” 

It appears as though the local area’s love for golf has fueled the productivity of Newsome’s senior class. The Senior Golf Tournament has allowed the class of 2023 to make great strides in relation to class funds, making prom and other fun senior events possible in the near future.