Newsome’s Special Olympics team bowls to regionals

Alexis Gonzalez, Reporter

Special Olympics team bowled at regionals this past weekend, on October 22 in Winter Haven against multiple counties to compete for a winning place.

Students athletes, A’kaylin Barnes, Elizabeth Cotterll, Anthony Mastella, Michael McAdams lii, Jon Miller, Luke Morris, Tyler Neclos-Bodley, Juan Ramirez-Zapata, Christian Rucker and Lawrence Blake Webber all participated in the regional bowling competition.

The team is led by Mr. Light and Mr. Mastella, teachers here at Newsome. Both coaches prepare the athletes to play hard but also to have fun. Their positive attitudes help to make the event more enjoyable.

The events consisted of two rounds of bowling, each lane containing 4 to 5 athletes. All of the students were from different counties and school.

Even though all the athletes were from various places, every single one of them came together and got along as if they have known each other for years. The kind and encouraging demeanor of all the students made every athlete feel confident.

The bowling alley was filled with family and friends and cheers that could be heard a mile away.

Newsome student, Elyssa Gonzalez attended the event and was so proud of all the students who participated.

“The place was filled with so many people. It was so nice to see all the kids smiling and having so much fun,” Gonzalez said.

Newsome took home amazing results.

Elizabeth Cotterll, Jon Miller, Luke Morris, Tyler Neclos-Bodley, and Michael McAdams lii all placed 2nd. Anthony Mastella, A’kaylin Barnes placed 6th. Christian Rucker and Lawrence Blake Webber placed 3rd.

The athletes all bowled their hearts out and ended the day with smiles on their faces.