Superstitious Students: To Believe or not to Believe

Ever since ancient times, people have always tended to believe in superstitions. Friday the 13th, ominous black cats, shattered cursed mirrors, open umbrellas under a roof, the infamous “step on a crack, break your mother’s back”, and many other crazy beliefs that have been fabricated over the years.

Zodiac signs are among the most popular of superstitions, and whether it’s predicting the future or making decisions, many can’t help but fall for the seemingly legit theories that come with it.

With Newsome students as well as most teenagers, astrology and superstition gives a fun way to “predetermine” their future and most find themselves buying it, no matter how out of whack or eerily true it may be.

Sophomore Barbara Del Rio Diaz, a Leo, finds herself being biased occasionally. “It depends on whether I like what its saying. If it says I’m going to have a good week I’ll always believe it more than if it says my week will be stressful,” she says.

Sophomore Dustin Wilkins, a Pisces, on the other hand, isn’t as sure of the accuracy of the signs. “I don’t trust some online horoscopes. It could be any random person who doesn’t have a lot of experience,” he shares.

The 12 astrological (zodiac) signs are derived from the constellations that mark out the path on which the sun appears to travel over the course of one year, according to earthsky.org. These signs come with specific “characteristics” for that sign. However, the accuracy of the zodiac personalities is always up for debate within individuals.

“I don’t judge people based on their sign because they don’t always act like that. There’s way more to a person than what their sign says, and I would rather judge someone after actually getting to know them, even though sometimes there is a resemblance,” adds Wilkins.

However, students do find themselves identifying frequently with their signs. “I like to be appreciated for my work, I’m a good listener, and I’m pretty easygoing. But that could apply to everyone,” Del Rio Diaz says. Wilkins also relates to some aspects of his sign, “I do tend to be oversensitive, lazy, and I’m kind of an escapist,” he says.

Students also believe in some common superstitions as well. “I have such a little kid heart. I believe in making wishes at 11:11, even if they usually don’t come true,” says Wilkins. Del Rio Diaz shares similar views, “I don’t know why, but I believe that black cats are bad luck. I’ve always heard it, and it seems believable,” she explains. Most people tend to fall for superstitions for just that reason-it’s just so talked about that people eventually find it credible, even if it’s crazy.

In all, students have their own theories of why people choose to believe such things. “ Some people just want to “know” their future, and it can give them hope that something good will happen,” Del Rio Diaz concludes. No matter how irrational and strange the pseudoscience of astrology and common superstitions are, people will continue to join the bandwagon, even if it is just for fun.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.