New Year, New Representatives

Kara O'Donnell, Reporter

The annual freshmen council election at Newsome introduced the new faces of its chosen officers President Tyler Mann, Vice President Katie Hackett, Treasurer Andrea Fabregas, Historian Zoe Rasmussen, and Secretary Leah Santivasci.

Sitting down with the group of officers, they described their positions in the council and how they showed their leadership. While each person has specific jobs, they all contribute to the planning of freshmen events. Mann explained how he oversees the whole group and all of its members.

“Everything the members do goes through to me,” he said. Hackett followed up by saying that her job is to aid Mann with his tasks and take over his position if he is absent or unavailable.

Fabregas is in charge of the funds for the freshmen class while Rasmussen takes pictures of events at school, which will eventually result in the making of a scrapbook. Santivasci takes notes during meetings and informs everyone in the council of upcoming dates and events happening at Newsome.

Santivasci explained the election process and said, “It was very competitive and other students voted for who would get the positions.”

The officers found out that they won when their names were broadcasted for the entire school to hear. While the majority of the officers said they felt honored and overjoyed when they heard their names, Mann said, “I was excited, but I was extremely nervous when they were announcing the names. When I heard my name, it felt like my legs gave out on me.”

The officers said that they have already started planning events for their class and revealed upcoming ideas they were preparing, such as the freshmen class t-shirt, their participation in the spirit parade, the freshmen golf cart, and plans for the pep rallies.