Singing and Playing All the Way

Newsome Band and Chorus hope to make this year one of the best ones yet.

Mari Faiello, Editor-in-Chief

Sometimes it’s not always about who scored the game winning point or how many people show up for the student section – in fact, sometimes it’s about the amount of work someone is willing to put into something to get where they want to be. Newsome’s Band and Chorus are two of the most hard-working groups at Newsome. Yes the sports teams work hard too – you can’t complain about multiple District recognitions or even a State Championship but what if your “game” told a story? What if everything you had to offer was left on the field and stage in every performance you gave? What if your best was finally enough?

Newsome’s band has a lot to look forward to this year. What a rewarding moment to find out that you and your friends are formally invited to play in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade in NYC in 2016! Not only are they going to NYC but they will also be participating in Bands of America (BOA) in October where students will travel to the University Delaware to perform their show at a national level. They will also be competing in Leesburg which will be their first official competition of the season.

They are diligently practicing after school to be perfect. Good is never good enough for these students. Not a note off pitch or a step out of place, they are determined to get their story of “Flight” across to their audience in a fashionable manner. They started practices over the summer practicing before the sun even rose to when the stars were above them at night. Long days and hours on the fields, courts, driver’s education driving range, in the hallways, and outside the cafeteria are starting to reflect success.

“Although we have a younger band it’s been a rewarding experience to see how everyone has stepped up and comes together for a common goal,” says Senior member, Kayla Dasta. Their most recent honor was the opportunity to perform “America the Beautiful” with Durant’s band at the Newsome vs. Durant football game at home last Friday to honor the victims and service members of 9/11. Mr Miller, the Band director and teacher says, “I would like to thank the student body, staff, and administration for support whom without we are nothing but together we are everything. Go Wolves!”

On the other hand, Newsome’s chorus is also a very hardworking group of students. They were very excited to learn about their trip to Ireland last year after their Winter Show. In Ireland they will be able to perform concerts all over singing with an Irish high school for a joint concert and even performing with some students at the University of Northern Iowa.

They are constantly preparing for better results and pushing themselves to be the best practicing during and after school and of course on their own time.“This should be a fabulous year because we have an exceptional group of students with good attitudes and talent,” says Chorus teacher Mr. Bogue.

Chorus also announced collaborating for another fabulous production that will occur at the end of the school year with the Drama department. They plan on performing the play “Beauty and the Beast” after finishing off last year with an incredible recreation of Broadway’s “Bye Bye Birdie” starring current Seniors, Zach Garner and Jenna Dahlin along with a new NHS alumni student, Tyler Peterson.

Newsome’s fine arts department has a lot to be proud of as they face new challenges and opportunities to truly excel in. It will be a fantastic year for these students as they continue to learn and grow as individuals and a group.