Putting off procrastination

Garrett Morrissey, News Editor

As of Oct. 15, the first quarter of the 2018-2019 school year was officially over. As this quarter ends, the second half of the semester begins bringing with it determination and grit for a strong marking period.
Procrastination is the action of delaying or postponing something, usually classwork, until the night or period before it due. According to Huffington Post, 86% of high school students admit to procrastinating on their school assignments.
The three main arguments for putting off assignments are: not liking or wanting to do schoolwork, getting overwhelmed and not knowing where to start and getting distracted by other things the student would rather be doing.
With popular video games, wanting to hang out with friends or trying to cram in one more episode, schoolwork may seem like an afterthought to many students. As the new quarter begins, the best time to lay waste to these habits and mindsets is now.
One of the easiest ways to counteract procrastination is to break up the task. When assigned a massive project, it can seem intimidating and overwhelming. All large tasks can be broken down into smaller, more manageable pieces and then focused on one at a time.
An easy way to achieve these smaller tasks can be by setting deadlines and writing them down. Forcing oneself to get things done, either through a calendar, an app or a partner on the project, inspiration may strike as a deadline approaches, motivating completion.
Before attempting to meet a deadline, taking a break or going on a walk can be one of the most beneficial things to completing a task. Resting can allow the mind to work more clearly and to help ease anxiety one may have towards a project. Numerous studies have shown that people tend to perform better mentally after light to medium exercise. These benefits tend to diminish significantly after strenuous activity.
Following a few of these tips can help up your game at school and stimulate a productive second half of the semester.