Meet Ms. King- Newsome’s Agent of Change

Zoe Aleksa, Feature Reporter

When Ms. King described one of her favorite high school teachers, she mentioned that “she talked to us like we were people.” Teachers who talk to students like they are people are sadly an incredibly rare find in a world of robotic educators and concrete lesson plans. In a world that couldn’t care less, it’s quite refreshing to see someone who simply cares.

Growing up, King never thought she’d be interested in teaching. In fact, she studied psychology for quite some time. “I always knew I wanted to get into a profession that was helping people,” King recalls. It wasn’t until a college professor read one of King’s essays and asked if she was an English major did she begin to consider becoming one.

Charity has been a monumental part in King’s life. When reminiscing, 99% of her stories consist of sandwich making for the less fortunate, mission trips, and magnificent surprises for people who needed them. On one particular occasion, she gifted a family in need with a new mattress and small decorations including a night light. She says that volunteering is what helped her get through high school and advises students to “do something to make a positive change”.

King exudes a desire to better the world and what better way to do so then help raise and educate the upcoming generations? Ms. King isn’t the kind of teacher that students have become accustomed to, she refers to her students as “agents of change” and only uses carefully selected videos and passages for classes. Her classroom is vibrant and full of debates and discussion. It is thought provoking in every aspect. Junior Erin O’Sullivan says, “Ms. King is so socially woke. I love hearing about her opinions on things happening around the world.”

One lesson in particular revolved around a documentary titled Living On One Dollar. This film stars several Americans who live on the income of one dollar a day for 56 days in a small village in Guatemala. These four friends face many difficulties. They go on this outstanding yet difficult journey to prove that one doesn’t simply rise above poverty by working hard.

The movie was incredibly moving and immediately after watching it, students pulled out their phones and began looking up ways to help the inspiring people. One lady shown, aspired to be a nurse yet couldn’t afford to pay for the school. The Living On One organization set her up with her own clothing line that she weaves dazzling pockets for.

“I’m going to buy the shirt that Rosa makes so I can help her get through school and become a nurse,” junior Chris Stalling promises. King saw the documentary about a year ago on Netflix, she says she’s constantly looking for things to show to her students and knew she wanted to share this with her classes. “It made me appreciate more of what I have,” she says of the film. Would she herself ever try to live on one dollar? “I would love to,” King answers.

“Ms. King is without a doubt the most woke person at Newsome High School,” junior Rachel Sutherland concurs. One would only need to sit in on one class to be inspired, to want to go out and make difference. “Ms. King has taught an excellent lesson in being open minded,” junior Amelia Wilson says. Ms. King is exactly what she refers to her students as, an agent of change and without a doubt inspires many to go out and change the world.

If you are interested in learning more about the non profit Living On One organization please visit: www.livingonone.org

Rosa’s shirts can be found at: https://www.serengetee.com/pe-a-blanca/#!/customize