New Chick-Fil-A cauliflower sandwich

Arianna Hooker, News Editor

Chick-Fil-A is known for being home to the classic chicken sandwich, a fried chicken breast with pickles on a toasted white bun. Over the years, Chick-Fil-A has added additional options to its menu, such as a deluxe version, grilled chicken nuggets, spicy chicken sandwiches, soups, salads, etc.

On Feb 13, Chick-Fil-A released a new cauliflower sandwich to three test markets in Denver, Colorado, Charleston, South Carolina, and North Carolina’s Greensboro- Triad area. The cauliflower sandwich has been overtaking social media sites with reviews. 

Many are in love with the taste, but the price is hefty. Regular sandwiches cost about five dollars without a meal. However, the cauliflower sandwich costs seven dollars on its own. Chick-Fil-A is calling the new item a plant-forward entree and not vegetarian because of how the sandwich is prepared. 

Since Chick-Fil-A is a chicken-based company, they did not create a particular prep area for vegetarian meals. The cauliflower sandwich is prepared like all other Chick-Fil-A sandwiches, marinated, breaded, and pressure-cooked in 100 percent peanut oil.  Milk and eggs are also used in the cooking process, eliminating the cauliflower sandwich from being a vegan option.

If the sandwich receives good feedback, it can be expected that Chick-Fil-A’s cauliflower sandwich will make its way to nationwide menus within six months to a year.

Claiborne Young, a junior at Newsome High School, says “ I love Chick-Fil-A, but their name is CHICK- Fil-A, and their slogan is ‘eat mor chikin’ So, I applaud them for the attempt, but they should stick to the basics and what they are good at because they do not want to be sued for false advertising.”

Leslie Neslage, Chick-Fil-A’s director of menu and packaging, said, “ Guests told us they wanted to add more vegetables into their diets, and they wanted a plant-forward entree that tasted uniquely Chick-Fil-A. Our new sandwich is made with the highest quality ingredients and whole vegetables, and we hope it offers customers another reason to dine at Chick-Fil-A.

The new addition is a carb-forward meal and is available until May 20 or until supplies last.