Seasonal Festivities at October Winthrop Market

Winthrop pop-up market joins together “under the big oak tree” for their October session. Customers walked around and enjoyed the many products and people the market had to offer.

Maggie Metz

Maggie Metz, Reporter

Winthrop Village had its monthly “pop-up market” on Saturday, Oct. 16 from, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. around Winthrop Barn Theatre. Over 60 small businesses gathered around the Town Centre to promote themselves and sell their merchandise. Dazzling products such as jewelry, baked goods, hot food, clothing and drinks are sold at the monthly gathering.  

Winthrop Village is home to iconic restaurants such as Acropolis Greek Taverna, Datz, and Brandon Burgers. In addition, many Hillsborough County students find the Centre an excellent place to eat, shop, and take pictures- making it the ideal place for a successful market! The pop-up experience had Winthrop’s enticing environment and attracted an impressive young audience.  

Jessica Santander, from Jessica Santander Designs, had an alluring selection of handcrafted jewelry. Ranging from seasonal bracelets to delicately superb earrings, Santander’s collection appealed deeply to jewelry enthusiasts at the market. Although Santander has a degree in marketing and theatre, how she presents her goodies and chats with customers is welcoming and highly admirable. For the autumn season, she features a pumpkin spice collection that utilizes the tones of autumn in beads and jewels. 

Santander is all about women’s empowerment. Santander says, “I think about who the modern-day woman is and what she might want to cultivate with each piece” Santander says “My jewelry is about aiding women in being the person they want to be in the world.” She encourages women everywhere to treat themselves to buying jewelry to express self-love. 

The most deeply rich lattes can be found at Foundation Coffee Co.’s tent. They had hot coffees, iced lattes, and an arrangement of baked goods for sale. An astounding beverage offered was the Honey Rose Oat Milk Latte. According to the tent’s workers, while they had other flavors such as vanilla, lavender and pumpkin, honey rose was a crowd favorite.

The brewery has two open locations in Ybor City, and Riverview, with a small lounge open to coffee lovers alike. Each location has ranging varieties of milk, but the pop-up market specifically featured oat milk. In addition, the company has considered selling syrups of their cult classic flavors.

The environment of the market was a lovely experience, and had an intense feeling of compassion. The businesses were all charming and accommodating to any person’s preferences and needs. Particularly the workers from Artware Design were communicative and helpful while describing their intricate jewelry! 

This experience was an unforgettable time and a rich spot for enjoyment. The next pop-up market will be Nov. 20; it is the same place and time as the October market. So, be sure to go support local Hillsborough businesses and enjoy the crafty fall festivities.  

Maggie Metz
Jessica Santander works diligently to craft jewelry on the sight of the market. She and her partner were knowledgeable and excellent role models to speak to and learn from.