Decorating Your Dorm

Abby Alexander, Reporter

For the class of 2021, graduation is rapidly approaching. Some people will go on to jobs and internships, some will take gap years, some will take a different path, but for a majority of students, graduation means the start of college. 

Whether you’re getting an apartment of your own or moving into the college dorms, this is most likely the first chance you’ve gotten at a place to yourself. There are many questions, including what to buy and how to make it look good. Have no fear, your questions will be answered.

1. Choosing a Color Palette

The first step in having a coordinated apartment or dorm room is color palettes. Popular combinations include black and white, gray and pink, blue and gold, and a monotone palette of variations of a single color. To check if the color scheme you have in mind would mesh well, use a color wheel. Complementary colors are opposite from one another.

1. Work With What You’ve Got

Budget is a big issue for many people when it comes to dorm decor. Take a look at the things you already have in your room or your house and transform it into something new. For couches, this could mean getting some pillow covers. For beds, removing the bed frame and putting wooden palettes underneath not only but saves space, but is also more aesthetically pleasing. Simply making old things into something new will not only save you money but will also save you time spent at the store.

1. Decor

Plants are an easy way to spice up blank space and add a sense of comfort to your dorm room. Hanging pictures of your friends or family on your wall can make you feel more comforted and at home. Rugs break up the repetition of blank carpet floors or hardwood. These are just a few easy ways to take up empty space and add comfort.

1. Make a Space You Will Enjoy

As much as appearances feel like they matter, remember that they don’t and this is your space where you will spend your next four-plus years. Make it somewhere that feels safe and you genuinely appreciate, somewhere you would enjoy having friends over and can properly keep your space clutter-free.

Have fun with your first experience at interior decorating. College carries the weight of much unknown, and with so much out of your control, your dorm room is something you can take control of. You don’t have to make it fancy or exciting, but make sure you feel happy enough with space for it to be your new home.