Gun control: why stricter laws are necessary

Miles Swan, News Reporter

Gun control: America’s number one day issue with the most controversy. After the recent shooting on February 14 th in Marjory Stoneman Douglass High school in Parkland Florida, this long overdue issue has come to light.

As of February of 2018, in the state of Florida, one can legally purchase a gun at the age of eighteen. Many people ask why someone so young should be able to get a firearm.

Dana Loesch, spokeswoman of the National Rifle Association (NRA), does not ask the latter question, but instead asks why a man with such mental disabilities should be able to get a gun.

The man in question is Nikolas Cruz, a nineteen-year- old former student of Marjory Stoneman Douglass High, who is in fact mentally incapable.

Authorities in Parkland knew that Cruz was in trouble, so many ask why they didn’t do
anything about it, and how in the world he was able to get a gun.

Even today, Americans do not know how, and seem to not know how to prevent it either. If
someone is mentally ill, makes bomb and death threats, and can purchase and own a gun, the American government must seriously check their gun control laws.

With stricter laws on who can purchase guns, mass tragedies like this will be less likely to
happen, especially with a government, where everything is heated. Democrats can’t get along with republicans and republicans can’t get along with democrats.

Many do not want their second amendment taken away, which is understandable, but
regulation is needed, especially when a nineteen-year- old, mentally ill teenager can buy a weapon of mass murder.

Not only was his weapon a dangerous tool, but it was also semi-automatic, later being able to
be upgraded to a fully automatic weapon of war.

Once again, regulation is needed. A ban on bump stops, which makes semi-automatic
weapons automatic, would save so many lives. And the last question asked is: which matters
more, an amendment written over 200 years ago, or the lives of young, innocent people.