School shootings are inevitable- unless proper action is taken

Until proper action is taken, students will continue to perish due to lenient gun laws.

Matthew Bradford, Business Manager

I have spent the last three days trying to write an article that captures my feelings on the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, but I have not been able to. No number of hours spent brainstorming or tens of rough drafts I write will be enough. Anything I could possibly write has already been written. Nothing I write will inspire action in my elected politicians who are responsible for passing laws to keep students safe. Worst of all, there is nothing I can do that will bring any of the victims back.

Nicholas Dworet will not try out for the U.S. Olympic swim team. Aaron Feis will not coach another football game. Joaquin ‘Guac’ Oliver will not listen to Frank Ocean’s next album. Alex Schachter will not play the baritone and trombone again for his school’s marching band and orchestra.

These students and faculty members had their lives cut short, and it is all too familiar. Since 1999, there have been school shootings in 43 states that have resulted in the deaths of about 250 students and teachers, according to the Washington Post.

While many of these shootings are carried out with a semiautomatic AR-15 assault rifle, the United States has yet to pass legislation that limits or bans the sale of these guns. The laws are so lenient that anyone in the state of Florida over the age of 18 who can pass a background check is eligible to legally purchase a semiautomatic AR-15 assault rifle after a three day waiting period. This included the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooter, who was one of those eligible when he purchased his weapon in February of last year.

Legislation that limits or bans the sale of these weapons is imperative to the safety of students and until legislation is passed, evil people will continue to easily purchase and use AR-15s to end the lives of others.

The number of school shootings will only grow. It is likely the weapon that will be used by the shooter has already been legally purchased. There is no way to predict how close to home it will be. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is only a three and a half hour drive away from Newsome High School, much shorter than a drive to Tallahassee or Miami. The next school shooting could be even closer.

And when it happens, it will be just as difficult to write about.