Relay for Life

Leah Harrell, News Editor

On April 8, Lithia hosted a chapter of Relay for Life on the football field of Newsome High School. Relay for Life has been the signature fundraiser of the American Cancer Society since May 1985.

The whole basis is to have volunteers form teams and have someone from each team be running or walking around a track the whole event. This is to model the fact that cancer never sleeps so for the portion of the event, neither do the teammates.

Relay at Newsome is an 18-hour event starting at noon and finishing at six in the morning. Those that chose to stay overnight had to have raised 100 dollars previously to donate to the American Cancer Society.

This year at Newsome, the theme of Relay was Disney movies so each team was assigned a different one. The Seeds of Hope Club chose The Incredibles and The Archery and Angles club was Robin Hood, just to name a few.

Each hour is also themed for teams to bring some spirit to the time, such as the fantasy lap and the frozen lap. There was also the usual dodgeball tournament which added some action to the day as various teams battled it out for the win.

At nine, the Luminaria Ceremony took place and gave the event a more somber tone. Each person was asked to decorate a luminaria which were placed around the track. All lights were turned off as everyone walked around the track in silence to honor those cancer has taken and those still fighting.

Gates were locked at 11 and no one was allowed in or out until six in the morning. Teams stayed awake by playing games like cornhole or spikeball and continuing to relay around the track.