Rays trade Smyly, sign Rasmus and Tolleson

Trevor Lint, Reporter

After a rather quiet offseason with 68 days of no action, the Tampa Bay Rays made three big moves in a span of eight days.

Starting on January 10, the Rays signed free-agent outfielder, Colby Rasmus. The 30-year-old, Rasmus, came off a rough season with the Houston Astros where he hit a career-low .206 in 107 games. He added 15 homeruns and 54 RBIs.

Rasmus has the capability to bounce back as over his eight seasons split between Toronto, St. Louis, and Houston he averages 24 homeruns, 73 RBIs, and a .241 average.

The following day, the Rays made another move trading pitcher, Drew Smyly to the Seattle Mariners for outfielder Mallex Smith, pitcher Ryan Yarbrough, and shortstop Carlos Vargas.

Smith adds another member to a crowded outfield. Smith is a solid baserunner which is something the Rays have lacked over the past couple seasons.

The additions of Smith and Rasmus creates a jumble of outfielders. Kevin Kiermaier is locked in as the centerfielder, leaving Smith, Rasmus, Steven Souza, and Mikie Mahtook for the two corner-outfield spots. Souza is the expected to be the starting in right field with Rasmus in left when the Rays open up the season against the New York Yankees on April 2.

The left-handed Yarbrough will begin the season in AAA affiliate Durham. The 25-year-old has become the Rays’ 16th best prospect according to mlb.com. Vargas’ value is yet to be determined, the Dominican born shortstop is still younger than some American high school students at the age of 17.

The Rays trading Smyly was a highly anticipated move amongst baseball experts. They had more pitchers of value than they did spots in their 2017 pitching rotation. Smyly departs following a disappointing injury-plagued two and a half years in a Rays uniform. Despite a promising start Smyly never lived up to the standards he set when he first came over from the Detroit Tigers in July 0f 2014.

The departure of Smyly now solidifies the Rays 2017 starting rotation. Barring another move, Chris Archer, Alex Cobb, Jake Odorizzi, Blake Snell, and Matt Andriese are the expected pitching rotation for the Rays.

A week later the Rays added to their weakest part of the team, the bullpen, by signing former Texas Rangers closer Shawn Tolleson. The right-hander struggled last season with an ERA over seven that forced the Rangers to demote him from their closer position. Tolleson is hoping to return to his 2015 success where he finished with 35 saves and a 2.99 ERA.