How To Cope with Exam Stress

Science+Mag

Science Mag

Stephanie Strickland, Editor-In-Chief, Print

December 13th will mark the beginning of coffee filled study sessions, as well as the end of the first semester of this school year. As students begin feeling the pressure to secure their first semester grades, many also contemplate ways to cope with this stress. To help students cope with this stress, listed below are five strategies students can follow:

1. Make a To-Do list: Between study guides the tests themselves, it is important to organize what needs to get done. Create To-Do lists before you sit down for a study session, because nothing feels better than checking important tasks off of your list.
    2. Prioritize: In addition to making a list, it’s important to know what is most important to get done. This includes stress alleviating activities that will be included in the latter part of this article. It is just as important to rest one’s mind as it is to fill it with information from classes.
    3. Listen to Music: Music or other external elements can greatly improve the ability of someone to focus; however, some require a complete cancellation of external forces in order to be productive. Most important is for each student to find their own study space that will be most effective in allowing them to focus.
    4. Exercise: This tip is very important because exercise has been proven to alleviate stress and promote energy and productivity. One exercise that is strongly recommended prior to exams is yoga because it is calming and promotes mindfulness. It also helps to exercise with others, which will become a distraction from the stressful times that lie ahead.
    5. Be Confident and Calm: It is pointless to allow yourself to become overwhelmed by exams and preparation for them. Remain calm before, during and after the tests and you will be in the right state of mind to perform exceptionally.