Rolling into downtown: Biking in major cities is easier than ever

Ina Morrissey, Social Media Editor, Business Manager

This time only comes once a year; when Floridians can step outside mid-day and not break a sweat. A great way to take advantage of this annual weather is to get outside and explore the closest city.

Coast Bike Share is “the healthy, fun and affordable way to breeze around Tampa” as stated on coast.socialbicylcles.com.

Coast Bike posts are set up all over Downtown Tampa, and the helpful app makes getting around the city on two wheels as easy as can be. Using the Social Bicycles app, you can book a bike by logging on and reserving a bike at the post nearest to you.

After you have secured a bike enter the four-digit pin, which is provided from the app after payment, into the keypad on the back of the bike. This pin will release your bike, and then you are free to ride and enjoy.

Making it through the entire amount of time you reserved to ride is nearly impossible with all the coffee shops, restaurants and art galleries surrounding you as you “breeze” through the city. To make sure you aren’t charged for time when the bike isn’t in motion, simply press the HOLD button and secure to the nearest bike rack. Then reenter your four-digit pin to get rolling again.

When your time is up, simply ride on back to a rack and lock your bike at one of the convenient hubs stationed throughout the city. For those who are eager to ride more than the eight dollars an hour, you can choose to spend fifteen dollars a month for 60 minutes of riding a day, twenty dollars a month for 90 minutes of riding time or pay the annual fee of seventy-nine dollars for an hour to ride a day. There is even a deal for students where fifty-nine dollars for a year will get you 60 minutes of riding per day as well.

Bike riding in large cities has been made easier through prepaid riding plans, many bike racks stations and even a mobile app to track everything for you. Tampa isn’t the only city where a large amount people are riding bikes more and more. Countless people are hopping on their bikes in cities such as New York City, Minneapolis Minnesota and Washington D.C.

This bike riding trend is great for the environment as less and less people will be needing to waste gas that is used in their cars, and biking. It also promotes a healthier lifestyle and it only costs you fifteen dollars a month.