The fandom that lives

The Harry Potter franchise comes out with a new movie

Leah Harrell, Sports Editor

If you still haven’t accepted that Harry Potter is over, you’re in luck.  A new addition to this franchise is coming out November 18 of this year.  Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is expected to start a new series of movies focused on Newt Scamander.  Sophomore Ginger Haggbloom said that her initial reaction was “as soon as I heard I went to Youtube on my phone to watch the trailer.”

During Harry’s first year at Hogwarts in the first Harry Potter film, one of his textbooks- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them– is written by a Newt Scamander.  Scamander is a magizoologist and will be the main character of this movie and the ones that follow.  The story, itself, is set in New York City which is different from the previous English setting and is 70 years before Harry ever went to Hogwarts.

J.K. Rowling has also confirmed there will be a wizarding school in America that the movie will reveal.  This school is founded on principles based on magic relating to Native American culture.  However, Rowling will not say the name of the school because it would reveal the location of it.  It is said though that Scamander will meet students or former students of this new academy on his adventure.  

When asked about her thoughts on the cast, sophomore Ginger Haggbloom responded with, “I don’t know them, but there is a hot guy.”  The guy Haggbloom so kindly was referring to is Eddie Redmayne who will play Scamander.  Other actors such as Ezra Miller, Colin Farrell, and Katherine Waterston will also play leading roles in this film.  

This new movie and whatever follows is predicted to continue Harry Potter’s financial successes according to TheGuardian.  It might be able to meet the precedent set by the original films but whether it will be able to live up to the fandom’s legacy is a different question.  Haggbloom’s answer to that is “no, but it will still be good.”  Either way Harry Potter fans can sleep soundly knowing that the magic is not yet over.