Trump or Triumph?

Stephanie Strickland, Asst. Editor-in-Chief, Print

A man with an estimated net worth of 4 billion dollars is taking Americans by surprise. Formerly known for his success in the business world, Donald Trump is hoping to take on a new role as president of the United States. However, there has been controversy over whether he is qualified to play this role.

Trump has managed to win the hearts of some, while mortifying others. The result, 5th Avenue New York is barraged with protesters and supporters of Trump on a day to day basis. This was witnessed firsthand by journalism students from Newsome who chose to participate in CSPA, an annual event for aspiring journalists hosted by Columbia University. These students brought this controversy back to the halls of Newsome, and others are taking notice of the rising tensions being created.

So, America has resorted to becoming divided between those who support Trump and those who don’t. Newsome is also partaking in this divide, and students are voicing their opinions about this Republican candidate.

Sophomore, Haley Fiske does not support the campaign Trump is trying to create for America. According to her, his ideas are backwards and wouldn’t help improve America in the slightest.

Fiske believes that “Everyone should be scared if he wins. There would be no safe place of muslims, immigrants, or the Syrian refugees in the US.” These are just a few of the major changes Trump is trying to instill in America, and Fiske does not support a single one.

A more suitable candidate for the presidency would be Bernie Sanders, says Fiske who explains “He is in the right mindset to lead this country and would bring about the most positive changes.”

Junior Jordan Moody feels very differently about Donald Trump and his attempts to claim the White House. She believes that people support a candidate like Trump because key  ideas from his campaign have remained intact throughout the entirety of the race thus far.

Change is the key factor of this election; however, Americans have very differentiating views about how this change should be pursued. Moody explains that this divide is not just from Trump but also from Bernie, who is also advocating radical change. “It’s only a matter of if those people wanting a revolution want a conservative or more liberal one.”

When asked about the future of these protests Moody says, “Violence is not on the horizon for America. Violence is already here.” Moody believes violence becomes an issue when people feel powerless against a force promising change.

Trump has evidently become a moving force in American politics; however, questions over the validity of his position and his qualifications to be president are causing controversy in every corner of America. Regardless of whether Fiske or Moody get the result they desire, we will see a new president inaugurated, and change will sweep over America beginning in 2017.