Raider Win

JROTC makes history and wins big.

Stephanie Strickland, Reporter

On December 5th Newsome’s JROTC achieved their goals and won the Area 9 Raider Meet. This was an outstanding accomplishment facilitated by hard work and dedication.

The Mixed Raider team- including Mallory Hirn, Nia Williams, Maria Somrah, Megan Sacrapanti, Loren Lewis, Mia Wilson, Cody Caskey, Jacob Manweiler, Justin Perez, Matthew Thomas, Conor Gardner and Victoria Aliecia- was led by Eliot Hirn to this momentous occasion.

To prepare, the team ran 4 to 5 miles daily and completed repetitive training for the other events, including the 100 meter tire flip, one rope bridge, 1 mile cross country rescue, a 5k team run, and a raider fitness challenge. Hirn claims that the team felt confident in their abilities prior to this event, due to the rigorous training endured by the whole team.

After completing all of the events, the team felt relieved and anxious to find the results. “The competition was tough, but we still expected to win,” says Hirn. Their expectations were met as they left the meet in 1st overall, after winning 1st in every event they participated in. Regardless, the Raiders will continue making improvements and will strive to be better for upcoming meets.

Hirn recommends joining JROTC and the Raider Team because it is an exciting chance to interact with people who share a common goal. “JROTC has given me so many community and leadership opportunities,” explains Hirn, who is currently deciding whether his military career will continue outside of high school.

This team was able to come together as one entity and achieve a common goal. Their dedication and enthusiasm for the events ultimately gave them the opportunity for success. This was the first time in Newsome history that the Raider team was able to capture first in every event, and this wouldn’t have been possible without the camaraderie that exists between all members of the team.