Surprises and Disappointments of 2015 NFL Season

Matt Tucker, Sports Editor

SURPRISE- Derek Carr QB Oakland Raiders

After an average rookie year, Raiders Quarterback Derek Carr has been the main reason for the Raiders turnaround. Last year Carr threw for only 21 touchdowns along with 12 interceptions, and has greatly improved during his sophomore season. Through nine games this season Carr has thrown 19 touchdowns to only 4 interceptions showing much better field vision. A primary reason for Carr’s turnaround is rookie Wide Receiver Amari Cooper’s explosion onto the NFL scene. Cooper was viewed as the top Wide Receiver in the draft and has lived up to the hype, giving Carr a deadly number one option. With seven games left in the season the Raiders already have one more win than they did all last year, the primary reason for that is the emergence of Derek Carr.

DISAPPOINTMENT- Peyton Manning QB Denver Broncos

The legendary career of future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning has hit an all time low. Towards the end of last season Manning’s age appeared to finally catch up to him, turning the ball over at an all time high and a significant loss in arm strength. Over the offseason there was hope Manning could return to his exceptional play with rumors coming out saying he was injured at the end of last season. Well his play did change, it became worse. Through nine games the Broncos are 7-2 which would make it seem as if Manning had done good, that is not the case. Manning has thrown 17 interceptions, compared to just 9 touchdowns. In week nine Manning was benched in favor of second year QB Brock Osweiler, Manning had only 5 completions, while throwing 4 interceptions. Hopefully Manning retires after this year coming to the realization that he just isn’t the same player anymore.

SURPRISE- Josh Norman CB Carolina Panther

Josh Norman makes plays at an astounding rate, after being just an average cornerback for most of his career Norman has become a star. Norman locks down the number one Wide Receiver on opposing teams on a weekly basis. Norman along with Linebacker Luke Kuechly are the main reason Carolina has an imposing defense. Through week nine Norman has 4 interceptions which is good but not exceptional, but when the ball is in his hands do not take your eyes off the TV. Two of Norman’s interceptions have been returned for touchdowns, the most in the league.

DISAPPOINTMENT- Eddie Lacy RB Green Bay Packers

Eddie Lacy appeared to be on the path to being one of the top Running Backs in the league after an amazing sophomore season but the complete opposite has happened. Lacy has had numerous injuries but not enough to blame his failure on them. A big reason for Lacys poor play is his weight. Lacy has always been a power back so a few extra pounds always helps, but Lacy has gained more than just a few pounds appearing to be the heaviest running back in the league. Last season Lacy had 13 touchdowns and 1,566 all purpose yards helping the Packers having one of the most feared offenses in the league. Through nine games Lacy only has 2 touchdowns and 400 all purpose yards. This poor play has led to Lacy being benched in favor of James Starks, which would sound asinine before the season started. With three losses in a row the Packers desperately need Lacy to play like last season if they hope to turn it around.