Migrant’s Festival

Manuela Graf, Features Editor

The sun is out and the sky is a clear, only-in-Florida blue. Upbeat Latin music resonates from large speakers, and the great vibes can be felt from far away. What better day to celebrate the widespread contributions that migrants can make in communities like Wimauma, Florida?

Taking place annually on February 25th at Reddick Elementary, eager families gather around to celebrate differences, struggles, and create a positive environment for all to share.

“The migrant’s festival is something where we collaborate to bring information to those in the community, so that families can connect with all the services it offers,” said Edwin Cortez, a district social worker and fervent advocate for migrants.

Awarded the title of Migrant Educator of the Year by the Florida Department of Education in 2016, Cortez is dedicated to the cause of creating a voice for those who he feels don’t always have one. He adds, “I am a social worker for the school district assigned to the migrant’s educational program. My job is as a social worker, but the difference is that I go to all the schools in the county where there are student migrant populations.”

At the festival there were a multitude of activities including a petting zoo, arts and crafts, games, raffles, and even an appearance from Kids on the Block courtesy of the non profit organization Champions for Children. The Kids on the Block taught the children about different kinds of bullying through a lively, interactive puppet show. The significant message the organization shared is sure to stick with the kids as they grow up.

The festival is all about awareness and support, and the school courtyard was flooded with tents from a plethora of organizations, from domestic abuse services and health screenings, to law services, thrift shops, books, MEP ID badges, and parent trainings. There were several performers of all ages showing their talents as well as pride for their roots. Nativity Catholic Church also provided the guests with delicious free food and a warm welcome.

One of the most used facilities included the health services offered throughout the day. “What we’re doing here for the community is offering health screenings-blood pressure, sugar, as well as a lot of health education. We have education about pill identification, poisoning, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other aspects of healthy eating,” said Sister Sara from Catholic Charities.

Sister Sara has plentiful experience with the community, and not only migrants gained something from the festival. “I have been working in this community for 17 years. These people around me are all from USF, so I encourage them to come out and work with the community while they’re still students,” she adds.

The Migrant Festival proved to be a success and helped unite migrants from the entire Wimauma area as well as others. Its welcoming and positive atmosphere helped families and individuals realize that there are many services available to them and that they have full community support.